In a big decision, Vijay Rupani was on Friday selected as the new Chief Minister of Gujarat.
(Read: Vijay Rupani will be the new Chief Minister of Gujarat)
The decision was taken at a meeting of legislative party members attended by BJP president Amit Shah and Anandiben Patel.
Here are 11 things need to know about new Gujarat chief minister Vijay Rupani:
- President of the Gujarat Bharatiya Janata Party since February 2016, He have close relations with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP president Amit Shah.
- Vijay Rupani comes from the Jain community, which is a dominant social group in Gujarat politics. He comes from Rajkot, which is a stronghold of the Patels.
- He also hold state government’s spokesperson and is recognized for his problem-solving abilities and good management of various portfolios.
- He was the state government’s spokesman and is recognized for his problem-solving abilities and draft management of several portfolios.
- He was inducted as transport, water supply, labor and employment minister in the Anandiben Patel government a year ago.
- Newly elected CM of Gujarat Vijay Rupani also shared great relations with veteran leaders like Keshubhai Patel.
- Rupani is viewed as a social leader recognized for his logical solution to a problem.
- He has a long connection with the Sangh Parivar and is similarly looked upon by party members.
- Contrary to a lot of his colleagues, he maintains a clean image of himself without any allegations in the Gujarat political circuits.
- Former CM Anandiben allegedly highly opposed to Rupani as the next CM.
- He was the only leader from Gujarat being jailed in the course of the Emergency.