Dr Sumita Prabhakar, the Founder and President of Can Protect Foundation, India’s leading Breast Cancer Awareness NGO is a shining example of how one can turn thoughts into action.
Leaving the most lucrative job abroad, Dr Sumita Prabhakar is a torchbearer for women in India who have no access to preventive health focused on breast and cervical cancer. She felt the need for preventive health in India especially in Uttarakhand where she daily sees an increasing number of women diagnosed with breast and cervical cancer, the two most common cancers in women but curable if detected early or in the pre-cancerous stage.
Dr Sumita Prabhakar says that she observed that her OPD was often attended by women who were diagnosed with breast or cervical cancer. She said tShe said that then she used to think if this woman had come to her earlier or if she had been aware of breast and cervical cancer, then this situation might not have happened.
Today, Under the leadership of Dr, Sumita Prabahkar Can Protect Foundation has screened more than 35000 women in the past 7 years and has given access to free-of-cost gynaecological health checkups and preventive screening to more than 6 lac women in Uttarakhand. By leveraging its core strength in technology, Can Protect foundations has become one of the most prominent women’s health NGOs that focused on Breast Cancer early detection and Cervical Cancer prevention.
Can Protect Foundation has always taken special care of women and educates them about preventive measures for breast and cervical cancer. Its commitment to free screening and cancer education is well reflected in its all activities and event.
The flagship programs of the Can Protect Foundation are free women’s health camps, “Meri Maa Swasth Maa” and “Asha ki Kiran” campaigns. All these programs are running successfully.
Can Protect Foundation has developed an app called Canapp. Canapp is a breast cancer awareness app. Women can learn Breast Self Exam with the help of Canapp. Canapp is one of the most recommended mobile apps for women’s health.
Dr Sumita Prabhakar is a well-known Gynecologist working at CMI Hospital, Dehradun. Dr Sumita Prabhakar is the founder of Laser Well, Uttarakhand’s first cosmetic gynaecologist and laser clinic.
Dr Sumita Prabhakar has also been honoured with many awards. Prominent among these awards are:
- IMA Doctor Achievement Award by the Indian Medical Association in recognition of distinguished service in the field of Medicine in 2008
- Uma Shakti Samman by the Governor of Uttarakhand in recognition of distinguished service in the field of Women’s health in 2013
- Global Business and Excellence Award by Amar Singh in recognition of distinguished service in the field of infertility treatment
- Youth Icon Award in recognition of distinguished service in spreading awareness about menstrual hygiene and breast cancer in 2014
- Amar Ujala Samarpan aur Samman by Amar Ujala Publications in recognition of distinguished social service in the field of women’s healthcare in 2014.
- Health Icon Award by Times of India in recognition of distinguished service of women’s healthcare in hilly areas of Uttarakhand
- Divine Shakti Leadership Award by Swami Chidananda of Parmarth Ashram in recognition of distinguished work for breast and cervical cancer prevention in remote areas of Uttarakhand.
- Dainik Jagran featured her in Uttarakhand’s Medical Pillars in 2018.
- Medico-Social Activist Award by Indian Medical Association Uttaracon 2018 in recognition of her exemplary contribution, commitment, and dedicated service to the medical profession and society.
Dr Sumita Prabhakar aims to reduce the mortality rate of women from breast cancer and cervical cancer in India. Dr Sumita says that if every woman becomes aware of breast and cervical cancer and if every woman understands that any woman can get breast and cervical cancer and she can avoid it, then we can reduce the mortality rate of breast and cervical cancer in India.